Sunday, 17 March 2013

U8's v Claverdon

Under 8s
Old Yards v Claverdon
Match Report – 10 March 2013

It was the coldest Sunday morning of the season when Claverdon arrived to play Old Yards. Again the Old Yards squad only had four of the usual team available, Alfie being drafted from the under 7s and Morgan joining the team for his first ever go at rugby. Claverdon turned out two full teams in comparison.
The team comprised Alfie, Ben, George, Harley, Morgan and Will.
In the first game it was tight but with Old Yards gaining an early advantage when a Claverdon player ran into touch. The tagging from Claverdon was excellent but with their players stepping into touch the ball kept turning over. At the end of the first half Old Yards were one try up but with Claverdon kicking off the second half they levelled the score. Old Yards players were giving each other excellent support despite Claverdon’s very quick tagging and by the end of the second half the match ended all square at 7:7. Old Yards scorers being Ben (4), Harley, George and Alfie.
The extremely cold weather and intermittent snow meant we went straight into the second game against a fully fresh Claverdon team. To give the lads some practice a new rule was introduced i.e. three completed passes were required before each try could be scored. With a few dropped balls, good tagging and running into touch possession kept moving between the teams. Claverdon’s fresh legs seemed to give an advantage and they were leading 3:1 at half time. In the second half Old Yards started a fightback but with Claverdon scoring on the final whistle they took the game 5:4. Old Yards scorers being Alfie (2), Ben and Harley.
To give the lads a rest, and a chance to get warm, the two Claverdon teams played each other before putting out a new team for the final game. This game was the tightest of all with a number of the players struggling in the snow and cold although Will, seemed impervious and played clearly his best game of the season. The scores edged up slowly but with the ball turning over regularly by half time it was 2:2. The final half continued to be a close affair with both team only managing to score a try apiece until just before the final whistle when Ben ran the full length of the pitch to score the winning try for Old Yards. Old yards winning the game 4:3. Old Yards scorers being Will (2), Ben and George.
Given the team was missing a number of its regulars it was good to see the effort put in by everyone and the fact that everyone on the team played a role in the closest games I have seen all season.